At St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School, Dipton, we intend to provide a curriculum which
- is broad, rich and varied, with knowledge and vocabulary at the heart, underpinning the application of skills.
- supports the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of each child, through a focus on our core school values of inquisitiveness, ambition, resilience, perseverance, respect, independence and the compassion of ‘sharing God’s love’. This enables our children to thrive and equips them with the skills to become positive, thoughtful and caring citizens in school and in the wider world.
- is underpinned by enquiry and curiosity, ensuring learning is contextualised within a broad and balanced curriculum
- develops knowledge sequentially, building upon prior learning and exploiting links between subjects and previous experience.
- allows for ‘real learning’, where our pupils are immersed in experiences that will enrich their minds and make learning memorable.
- nurtures enthusiasm and empowers children to take ownership of their own learning.
- Through our thematic approach to learning, we ensure coverage of the content of the National Curriculum, whilst providing opportunities for learning to be contextualised and linked. Our curriculum map is constructed to ensure all subjects are covered throughout the primary phase. We have reviewed subjects carefully to ensure there is connectedness, where it makes most sense, and that pupils are given ample opportunity to revisit content.
- Thorough consideration has been given to the way in which knowledge is sequenced. A progression of skills document has been carefully developed to make explicit what pupils must know and be able to do in each subject by the end of each academic year, taking into account what has come before and what pupils will continue to learn in the next year. This allows our pupils to remember knowledge and build on their prior learning.
- Evaluation of themes and subject areas taught ensures that breadth and balance are maintained and that all curriculum areas are covered. It is also necessary, at times, to teach an aspect of a subject area outside a unit of work, to give the aspect further emphasis and depth.
- We offer our pupils an exciting range of visits, visitors and activities, including outdoor learning, that provide unique opportunities and motivate learning.
- Further information on the mapping of our curriculum can be found below.
- First and foremost, we aim to instil in our children, a love of learning and an understanding that learning is part of a wider journey.
- We have high aspirations for every pupil and it is our aim that each child is equipped with the skills, knowledge and confidence to independently take the next step in their educational journey
- We consider our children as individuals who are facing future challenges and ultimately leave us secondary school-ready having enjoyed and embraced their learning experiences along the way.
- This impact is evident in
- The engagement of pupils in lessons
- An increase in the knowledge and skills of children (measurable against our progression of skills document).
- An embracing of our school values and an increased ability to apply these across contexts.
At St. Patrick’s, the British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and tolerance and respect are embedded into our curriculum. At St. Patrick’s, we reflect British Values in all that we do. We actively promote these values in the following ways.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
At St. Patrick’s we believe that inclusive education means providing all pupils with appropriate education and support alongside their peers. The Curriculum is all the planned activities that the school organises in order to promote learning, personal growth and development. Further information can be found in the SEN Information Report. If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.